For one plait
- 500g flour
- 20g fresh yeast / 7g dried yeast
- 100g butter
- 80g sugar
- 1/2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- some lukewarm milk to add
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Add the lukewarm milk at the end, enough to make a good dough mixture. Knead the dough on a flat surface for 5 minutes or so until your hands are clean of the mixture.
- Leave the dough to rise in a warm place and covered with a clean cloth, until doubled in size circa 30-40 minutes
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Once the dough has risen, split it into three even pieces and roll each out like a long sausage. Once they are all the same size plait them pressing the ends together. Place on a baking tray covered with baking paper and pop the Hefezopf into the oven for 30/40 minutes, making sure the bread bakes through properly.